MILTON, Mass. — A prestigious boarding and day school near Boston says four former workers engaged in sexual misconduct with several students decades ago.
Milton Academy sent a letter to the school community Tuesday saying an independent investigation determined former theater program head Rey Buono and three other unidentified male workers molested several students.
Buono worked at Milton from 1973 to 1987. He was fired after admitting he molested a student.
The investigation determined Buono abused at least a dozen male students, all minors, and that former headmaster Jerome Pieh had some knowledge of Buono’s misconduct in 1982.
The school says reports have been filed with the appropriate officials and law enforcement agencies.
School officials apologized, saying previous leaders failed to protect their students.
New York Post
PHILADELPHIA — An alumna sued a Pennsylvania boarding school Friday, weeks after a grand jury report detailed a half-century of sexual abuse there, accusing the school of ignoring warnings the athletic director was sexually involved with her.
The “Jane Doe” accuser said Solebury School’s permissive atmosphere enabled staff to prey on vulnerable teens. The woman, now 29, said that athletic director Lyle Hazel started grooming her in 10th grade and started a sexual relationship in 12th grade that continued for years and left her unable to finish college.
Serial paedophile and former priest Brian Joseph Spillane has been sentenced to another 13 years in jail for abusing young boys, many of whom were homesick and turned to him for help, at a private Catholic boarding school.
Spillane, 74, kept his back turned to his victims and their families as the sentence was handed down in a packed court room in the Downing Centre District Court on Thursday.
The former teacher, chaplain and head of discipline at St Stanislaus’ College, Bathurst, in central west NSW preyed on young boys who came from strictly Catholic families who revered priests.
Spillane used religious rituals, purporting to perform exorcisms, prayers and to speak in tongues, as a ruse to sexually abuse the boys.
After two trials last year, Spillane was found guilty of a total of 16 charges, including sexual assault, indecent assault and buggery, relating to attacks on several boys between 1974 and 1990.
The boys were aged between 12 and 15 and were either boarders or day students at the school.
“He knew that most of these complainants were desperately homesick and offered them comfort only to sexually abuse them,” Judge Robyn Tupman said.
“He knew he could act with impunity and with almost no chance that his behaviour would be revealed.”
The Border Mail (Australia)
One painful moment from my childhood remains so sharply defined in my memory that it has the power to make me cry — even now.
I am a boy, aged just eight, sitting at a window in my boarding school, scanning the drive, waiting for my father to turn up and take me on an afternoon outing.
Minutes tick by. The arranged time for our meeting passes. I wait, still hopeful, expectant, excited.
The Australian Catholic Church has paid A$276m (£171m; $213m) to victims of sexual abuse since 1980, an inquiry has heard.
The money was divided between thousands of victims, the Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Sex Abuse was told.
The data, released on Thursday, showed the average payment was A$91,000.
The landmark royal commission was set up in 2013 and is also investigating abuse at non-religious organisations.
The Catholic Church made the payments in response to 3,066 of 4,445 child sexual abuse claims between 1980 and 2015, the inquiry heard. More than 40% of claims were received by a handful of male orders.
They included compensation, treatment, legal and other costs, said Gail Furness, the lead lawyer assisting the commission in Sydney.
A sixth man has been charged with assaults at a former boarding school for boys.
The alleged historical offences are said to have taken place at Underley Hall School in Kirkby Lonsdale, Cumbria.
Derrick William Cooper, 76, of Hillberry Green, Isle of Man, has been charged with six offences of assault occasioning actual bodily harm and two offences of child cruelty, a Cumbria Police spokesman said.
The force said the charges were part of its Operation Tweed investigation – launched in July 2014 – into reports of non-recent abuse in residential schools in the south of the county.
Mark Stibbe, a former vicar who lives in North Yorkshire, is among those to claim to have been abused by youth worker John Smyth, who ran Christian holiday camps. As other victims waive their right to anonymity, here he tells his story in full.
What is the point of these Ofsted inspections that are mere tickbox exercises for boarding? Where are the social workers assessing why each boarder has been placed in care, away from their families?
The UK is a small country and we no longer have an Empire. There is no longer any need for children to be sent away to loveless institutions (regardless of how comfortable they are).
If a teenager chooses to board at 16+ and it is exclusively their decision, then we at Boarding Concern will support their decision (subject to proper safeguards). But there is absolutely no need in 21st Century Britain to send children and young teenagers away from home, given the disastrous history of British boarding.
Everything else is just pointless PR puff.
“Delight as Wymondham College earns ‘outstanding’ inspection grade”
Eastern Daily Press
A former Dumbarton boarding school is being probed by investigators from the Scottish Child Abuse Inquiry.
Judge Lady Smith revealed that the inquiry is investigating whether historical abuse took place at fee-paying Keil School in Kirktonhill.
The boarding school – which closed 17 years ago – will be looked at along with 60 residential care centres as part of the inquiry into widespread abuse in Scotland.
Lady Smith – speaking at a preliminary hearing of the inquiry at the Court of Session in Edinburgh last week – also said that more than 100 locations where abuse is said to have taken place have been identified.
In a statement, she urged anyone with information about abuse to come forward.
Maybe social workers are not caught up in the fetish of boarding? Maybe they do not want to send vulnerable children away from foster care and into loveless institutions, riddled with a history of abusing children?
And it has nothing to do with any fantasy of that perennial bogey “leftwing ideology”. Just practical, common sense that children are generally best raised in families than sent away to develop Boarding School Syndrome and or to become “Wounded Leaders“…
The Times (letters) (subscription)