Independent Inquiry into Child Sexual Abuse takes Truth Project to London

The Truth Project, part of the Independent Inquiry into Child Sexual Abuse, gives individuals who experienced sexual abuse in childhood an opportunity to tell a representative of the Inquiry anything that they wish to tell us.

Victims and survivors of child sexual abuse are being invited to share their experiences with the Truth Project in London from October.

The Truth Project, part of the Independent Inquiry into Child Sexual Abuse, gives individuals who experienced sexual abuse in childhood an opportunity to tell a representative of the Inquiry anything that they wish to tell us.

The Inquiry was set up to investigate whether public bodies or other non-state institutions failed in their duty to protect children from sexual abuse. Information gathered in Truth Project sessions is anonymous and will feed into the Inquiry’s recommendations to the government about how institutions can better protect children in the future.

IICSA

Victims [Survivors] pull out of Independent Inquiry into Child Sexual Abuse

Sex abuse victims have been “utterly marginalised” by an inquiry set up to help them, one of the victims claimed.

The Independent Inquiry into Child Sexual Abuse (IICSA) is examining the extent to which religious groups and local authorities failed children.

Earlier this week a latest victims group – Survivors of Organised and Institutional Abuse (SOIA) – withdrew from the process.

The IICSA said it had “taken on board” a number of issues raised by SOIA.

SOIA said the group had taken the decision to withdraw “with regret” but said the inquiry was “not fit for purpose”.

Set up in 2014, the inquiry has been beset by controversy, with three chairwomen stepping down, lawyers quitting and victims losing faith in the process.

BBC News

The Guardian

UK child abuse inquiry: three Catholic boarding schools ‘should form case study’

Three prominent Benedictine boarding schoolsAmpleforth, Downside and Worthshould be examined as a combined case study for the UK child sex abuse investigation into the Catholic church, a preliminary hearing has been told.

The work of the archdiocese of Birmingham and its schools should also feature as a complementary case study, according to the lawyer in charge of the Catholic church strand of the independent inquiry into child sexual abuse (IICSA).

Setting out her recommendations for hearings planned in November, Riel Karmy-Jones QC proposed that an examination of a fourth school should be delayed because of an imminent criminal trial involving a former teacher.

Inquiries into allegations at Fort Augustus Abbey school in the Scottish Highlands should also be restricted to the movement of English monks transferred to the institution, Karmy-Jones suggested, because a separate Scottish inquiry into child sex abuse would deal with any offences committed there.

The Guardian

Fury at sex abuse inquiry snub: Former boarders ‘devastated’ by bombshell U-turn

VICTIMS who claim they suffered horrific sexual abuse at a Scots boarding school have been snubbed by an official inquiry – despite being backed by the PM who said they helped set it up.

When she was Home Secretary, Theresa May wrote to a former pupil of Fort Augustus Abbey school to thank him for his “invaluable” help setting up the English Independent Inquiry into Child Sexual Abuse in 2015.

But the evidence of former Scottish pupils like him who attended that infamous boarding school is now unlikely to be heard at the powerful inquiry in London.

Last week, Fort Augustus Abbey was left off the list of schools to be examined by the IICSA later this year.

The snub has prompted fury among those who claim their lives were ruined by what they experienced at the boarding school.

Last night one victim told The Sunday Post: “This has come out of the blue. We’ve been waiting a long time for the inquiry.

“The effect is devastating on our mental health. There have been a number of suicides by ex-pupils because of the abuse.”

He said former pupils are very upset at the bombshell development, especially given Prime Minister May’s earlier support.

Sunday Post

Victims’ group withdraws from historical child sex abuse inquiry

A group of 600 abuse survivors has withdrawn from the independent inquiry into historical child sex abuse, calling it an “unpalatable circus“.

The BBC has been told the Shirley Oaks Survivors Association, which represents victims who lived in children’s homes run by Lambeth Council, has lost confidence in the inquiry’s leadership.

It had threatened to withdraw before – questioning the inquiry’s independence.

BBC News

The Guardian

Abuse inquiry scope will not change, Amber Rudd says

The scope of the independent inquiry into child sex abuse in England and Wales will not change, the new home secretary has told MPs.

Amber Rudd told the Home Affairs Select Committee the inquiry must “look at the historic element of these abuses”.

She also said that criticisms from the inquiry’s former chairwoman, who wrote to the committee, were “not correct”.

Justice Lowell Goddard’s letter said the inquiry should focus on current child protection and future changes.

The inquiry was set up in 2014 and announced that 13 initial investigations would look into allegations against local authorities, religious organisations, the armed forces, public and private institutions and people in the public eye.

It has been beset by problems, and last month Dame Lowell became the third chair to quit the inquiry.

BBC News

The Guardian